Saturday 12 July 2014

Clean Sweep

I didn't feel tired at the start of the day and the temptation of a good forecast, a mountain route and great company was too good to turn down.


Heather & Di opted for the classic route, Clean Sweep on Hells Lum.

I didn't get off to a great start.


My foot slipped low down, I barely made the move onto the arete on the first pitch, couldn't get any protection before dropping my nuts - like, when is the last time that has happened?

I seriously contemplated jumping down but managed to jibber back down instead - must have looked a right plum.

It just wasn't happening for me so instead, I walked around to the top of the first pitch and got Heather up.


Heather led pitch number 2 with me dragging my bottom lip up behind.  The pitch was wet, greasy and minging and if I were leading it, I would have certainly bailed, knowing that sometimes the karma pixies just don't work in your favour.  Despite the very big urge to bail off the top of the pitch, I pulled the finger out, put on the man suit and grinned my way up the superb pitch 3.

To say that I had a case of can't-be-arsed-itis would be a understatement and today I haven't even ventured beyond the garden gate.


You learn a lot about yourself in the mountains.  You learn a lot about others in the mountains.  I am truly blessed to have some amazing friends who put up with me when things just don't flow.