Sunday 15 February 2015

Hall of Fame - class of 2015

[The scene:  We are at the 5* Hilton Hotel, Glasgow, for the University of Strathclyde's Sports Awards Ball.  We are standing outside the Grand Ballroom where 600 students are enjoying the evenings celebrations.  The piper starts to pipe.  To my left stands John - who laughs, looks at me and says "It's like running through the tunnel into Murrayfield".  We then enter ...]


Yup, I think there was a mix up with people because last night John Rutherford, Craig Pollock and I were officially inducted into the Strathclyde Alumni Hall of Fame and received Honorary Full Sporting Blues.


John Rutherford is a giant in the world of Rugby and Craig Pollock is a giant in the world of F1 racing.

From left: Craig Pollock; Naill Sturrock; me & John Rutherford

I am deeply honoured by this award but struggle in my head to see why I should be standing amongst giants.  I feel quite emotional writing this because I see this not an award to me but recognition to the mountaineering world in general.  Finally somebody has recognised that there is more to sports than mainline sports.